[LUG] strange wireless behaviour

I usually use a Homeplug ethernet bridge to talk to the router but
this broke down and I had to switch to wireless. I've got another
bridge now so what follows is no longer a problem but it is most odd.
The wireless connection (D-link Airplus G+ and madwifi driver) was
very flaky. Often iwconfig would report link quality zero and when
I could make a connection the LQ would vary up and down. Anything
over 7 was ok but I would keep getting 'network unreachable' and
if I waited a bit it would go up to 9 or 10 and I got the connection
back. One time it reported 100 but not for long. Then I found that
using the Windows partition the link was fine. I don't know what the
LQ was but it was totally reliable and speedy. This morning I got
LQ zero, switched to Windows, worked for awhile and logged on to
Linux again and the LQ was 14 and everything ok. Almost as if Windows
is a wireless tonic. What could be happening?

Tony