Re: [LUG] Installing apps

On 09/06/11 11:48, Keith Abraham wrote:

Hi Jack

Read this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

(It sometimes pays to read the relevant part of the Ubuntu manual.)

Just search the software centre for wine you don't need the .deb
extension. I don't know of a single Linux distro that does have wine in
their repository.

I assuming you come from the Windows world where sources of software are
all over the place ie stores, websites, CDs etc. All Ubuntu software,
like most linux distros, is located in their own central repository.
Using this method all software is immediately accessible for download
and what's more is verified secure and and free from malware etc and
thus a better method than picking up software from any old untrusted
place. No more hunting the internet etc for an application, the means of
obtaining what you want is right there on your desktop

For me this method is easy, secure and efficient method of obtaining
software.

Keith

I'd agree with Keith on this. Yes you can install DEB packages but then you're likely not to get automatic updates. Ideally I'd suggest checking the Software Centre as chances are the application will be there already. This way when the package is updated with say a bug fix or a security fix then it will be installed alongside other updates (think of it a bit like Windows Update but for all installed applications).

If the version provided by the distribution isn't new enough (which happens occasionally) then you may find they have a repository available for your distribution.

In the case of Wine the instructions on how to add the repository are here:

http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

Adding the repository will enable you to get the latest version of Wine as it's released.

As you're trying to install Wine, I'd also suggest having a look at PlayOnLinux. Although it's mainly aimed at gamers it does also support other applications. It makes installing Windows apps easier as it has installation scripts which are tailored for the application, and it'll even download specific versions of wine for the application (some applications work better on different versions of Wine).

Hope this helps.

By the way, if you wasn't already aware, we're having a LUG meeting in Paignton tomorrow, if you're at a loose end then it would be great to meet you (although I guess since you're in Budleigh Salterton it might be a bit far in which case maybe we might see you at the LUG meeting in Exeter next month?).

Rob

Rob