Re: [LUG] Installing apps

On 09/06/11 09:12, Jack Oley wrote:
Rob,
   I've been trying to install WINE.

Keith,
   I dig what you're saying, but I need the knowledge anyway!

Gordo,
   I tried a search with : find *.deb - nothing doing.  I'll try the df -h thang.

   Thanks for the advice, guys, much appreciated.

    Jack.

Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 17:51:16 +0100
From: rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Installing apps

On 08/06/11 16:03, Jack Oley wrote:
Hi all,
I have a CD from the latest Linux Format mag, but can't install any of
the apps (I'm using Ub 11.04). The instructions say, enter dpkg -i
filename.deb into the CLI, but I'll be jiggered if I can establish the
file name..! I've looked into the various folders on the disc and tried
various file names, nothing works. I searched the CD for *.deb, but
nothing was found. What am I missing? Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks, group. Jack.

Hi Jack,

Is there any particular app you're trying to install?

I'm a Linux Format subscriber and although I don't usually look at the
CDs I'd be happy to have a look and advise if I can.

Ta,

Rob

Hi Jack

Read this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

(It sometimes pays to read the relevant part of the Ubuntu manual.)

Just search the software centre for wine you don't need the .deb extension. I don't know of a single Linux distro that does have wine in their repository.

I assuming you come from the Windows world where sources of software are all over the place ie stores, websites, CDs etc. All Ubuntu software, like most linux distros, is located in their own central repository. Using this method all software is immediately accessible for download and what's more is verified secure and and free from malware etc and thus a better method than picking up software from any old untrusted place. No more hunting the internet etc for an application, the means of obtaining what you want is right there on your desktop

For me this method is easy, secure and efficient method of obtaining software.

Keith