Re: [LUG] Linux doc and the cloud.

Grant,
  I don't know if Micro Men is available on iPlayer.  But I'm sure it will be repeated at some stage.  We're living through a very exciting time in human history, I'm confident that such monumental change, the most radical since societies came into existence, in such a compressed time scale, will be the subject of much historical discussion for decades to come!  Linux and open source has got to be one of the most salient features of this period.

  What are the group's thoughts on the cloud?  I think that there's a lot of advantage in terms of user friendliness and up to date security, etc., but the flip side includes security (!) and for me, the most negative aspect, dependence.  Too much reliance on the Net is foolhardy.  Local contingencies are an absolute must and SSDs, cheaper chips and smaller form factors are facilitating this.  Synthetic and 'artificial' intelligence will help greatly with security, back up and efficiency, but there's an ever increasing green price to pay for all of this so I think we have to use the cloud judiciously, not just chuck our lot in.  Gratuitous, 'always on' connection is unwarranted, un-needed (for most private users) and undesirable.

Anyhoo, cheers.       Jack.