Re: [LUG] Debian Squeeze & xfce4

On 08/06/11 06:27, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> The version of xfce4 shipped with Squeeze has an almost-impossible means
> to edit the menus - that's the thing under the X/Mouse or when you
> right-click on the desktop.

Seems this was a feature of 4.6 XFCE

> The version in Lenny (which I have on my laptops) has a GUI to edit the
> menus, and the next version of xfce4 wil have a GUI editor, but this
> version doesn't.

They changed the menu format to be freedesktop compliant, but they did
that in 4.8 so goodness only knows what 4.6 does.

> I really can't belive that people use this as it comes out of the box -
> do they?

A little searching shows a lot of people keen to upgrade to 4.8 which is
in Debian testing and has a menu editor.

I seem to remember GNOME did this for a release - no graphical menu
editor - didn't make them popular either.

If you ask the XFCE team at Debian I'm sure they'll either have a
package for Squeeze, or tell you what the least changes for a supported
4.8 is, maybe it can be pinned or some such.