Re: [LUG] KDE Keyboard Shortcuts

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Ask people why they think some letters in the menu bars are
underlined... And see who gives you the blank stares...

Yes I often do that. Most people I ask haven't even noticed the underlined letter!! As for the reason ...???

The reason is simply that they're never taught. Especially the people who didn't really pay much attention to computers at school - or those over the age of ~45 who might not have had much exposure to computers at school - I'm 48 FWIW and I was lucky to be on the panel at school when we were choosing the first microcomputer for our school (which was then adopted throughout most of Lothian region for some years - the Apple ][, and subsequently Mac)

I think there was basically a gap in the early years - there were schools, etc. who adopted the Apple and Beeb - which required typing, but at the same time weren't used by the masses, only the geeks... then a few years later, we had Macs and Windows 1 and use of the mouse was mandatory...

And then there's fear. A lot of people are genuinely afraid of the technology.

There's also a fear to experiment nowadays too... But then I think of myself as an engineer - one who's done computing at uny though. Brought up with a big box of Lego and a granddad with a workshop in his garage (lathe, mill, etc.) I think people today just don't know, or are not encouraged to experiment - and those that do get locked-up for "hacking" )-:

Some do look forward to it though - Some years back, I taught my wifes grandfather at the ripe old age of 92 how to write letters and send email. I didn't bother with the keyboard shortcuts as his dexterity was limited - I did find a nice joystick like mouse for him to use though, so showed him how to guide the pointer to the menus, etc. I'm sure my grandfather, had he lived long enough would have embraced computers too. (I was into electronics before compouters and he was keen to encourage that by letting me recycle bits out of old tellys to build new stuff)

My wifes background is interesting too - for years I thought she was very proficient with PCs and Windows - even though she did the ECDT (when DCC were paying for it!) It turned out that she was basically self-taught and only has a limited (but effective) repertoire of actions that she'd do. (Including the ability to produce stuff very quickly with publisher!) But she didn't know about keyboard short-cuts until I showed her a few, and even now, right-hand moves to the mouse to do most things...

She's a few years younger than me and didn't get any computer stuff at school (and minimal at uny as her subjects were not technology orientated - which at the time was the only way you'd get experience of computers)

So... basically it's (lack of) education and fear.... Well, it's what I've observed, anyway. (And I'm sure there is a splattering of laziness in there too!)

Gordon