Re: [LUG] Firefox

On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Some people have expressed surprise that I am still using Firefox 3.6.17 and have not yet looked at FF v4.[1] So, has anyone on the list moved up yet? If so some questions please,

I've justbuilt 3 PCs - all running Debian Squeeze - all with Debians Iceweasel installed - which is Firefox 3.6.x ...

I am using FF4 on my own Debian (lenny) desktop PC - and on my wifes Debian (squeeze) PC, and on both our AAO's (running Lenny)

Can I have both installed at the same time and then choose which one to use?

Probably...

Is there any advantage to moving up if I am happy with my current version?

Google has announced it's dropping support for older browsers -including ff3.5

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/06/01/google_apps_to_cut_support_for_older_browsers/

So you're probably OK with 3.6 for some time yet.

Will version 3* eventually lose any support?

Eventually... Probably ...

Normally I feel that if something is working for me leave it alone, but of course there may be security issues.

What will happen eventually is that there will be some sites that simply won't work on the older browsers - and (in the case of IE6) about time too. I suspect it proable won't be in the lifetime of the average PC...

[1] In my current distro (Mint 10 KDE) FF V4 does not appear in the repositories.

It's fairly trivial to setup standalone - just download and command-line install the tgz... Then download flash and command-line install that. Then there's the JVM plugin to install (if you really need it), but after that, it all "just works" - well it does for me!

Gordon