Re: [LUG] How a cheap graphics card could crack your password in under a second...!

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Roland Tarver wrote:

Just saw this http://url.drogon.net/z and this http://url.drogon.net/00.

My immediate reaction : ask clever people...........??!

And the properly clever people will suggest you don't use windows ;-)

Unix passwords are somewhat trickier to brute-force, (and getting harder all the time) although it's not impossible. (given time, and resources). However look up 'crack' and 'john the ripper'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_%28software%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_the_ripper

While nothing special, I still use these on my servers from time to time to see just how bad my clients are at setting passwords.

And if you want to really scare yourself when it comes to speed of password cracking... Look up 'rainbow tables' ;-)

Gordon