Re: [LUG] How a cheap graphics card could crack your password in under a second...!

On 02/06/11 17:39, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Roland Tarver wrote:
>> Just saw this http://url.drogon.net/z and this http://url.drogon.net/00.
>
> They're making it sound a lot worse than it is. The passwords that can
> be cracked in "under a second" are five characters and consist only of
> letters (upper- and lower-case) and numbers. A seven character
> password with the same restrictions already takes them 17 minutes,
> while a five character password which also contains symbols (&, .,
> space etc.) takes them 7 hours.

It could do with more background to improve clarity.

It describes as an NTLM password, but NTLM itself is now defunct (the
protocols crytographic security also too some major blows in in 2010 so
no one is going back there), it was disabled by default in Windows Vista
but advised against for a long while where admins have the choice.

I believe if it is all modern Windows version then the hashes are
protected, so your system admin can try and find your passwords this way.

However it is hardly surprising the 5 character passwords can be brute
forced quickly, we've seen brute force attacks on 40 bit encryption
technologies. Even if you allows all 7 bit ASCII in a password 5
characters is only 35 bits, only upper and lower-case and numbers have
62 characters, so 6 bits per characters, so a 5 character password has
30 bits only.

We've already abandoned 56 bit encryption technologies because of the
march of brute force, so having a password with less information than
that is clearly futile.

Using only upper & lower-case letters and numbers to attain 56 bits
means you want 10 characters or more.

Browser universally use 128 bit encryption for SSL, to match that level
of security you'd want a 22 character password using upper and lower
case letters and numbers.

The practical upshot is firewall off the networks using windows networking.