Re: [LUG] Aargh - Debian Packages... (emacs)

On 29/05/11 21:28, Tim Dobson wrote:

> cacofonix:~# apt-get install vim-full

Ah but to start an editor packaging war at least Debian has slimline Vim
packages, all the Emacs packages depend on libasound2, although I'm
guessing emacs23-nox is lighter, it didn't seem much lighter.

I'm guessing the packaging for Emacs makes sense, it hasn't been a
lightweight editor for over a decade, you choose it now because it can
play chess, or beep when your email arrives, or integrates with your
preferred SCM system whilst still automatically updating the change log.
If you just wanted to edit a file  over ssh you'd use vim-tiny, or nano,
or jed, or .....

If it is just a key binding thing (muscle memory), then I think jed, and
of course vim, and no doubt others, can use Emacs key bindings (and vice
versa of course).

 Simon