Re: [LUG] New recruit for DCGLUG ??

Arley Bushill wrote:
Introduction:
Retired engineer 70 living in Bude Cornwall.
Have dabbled with Linux: DSL PUPPY and UBUNTU. but nothing serious. I am
teaching myself HTML.
My hobbies are: Model Engineering (Lathe/Milling Machine) and Model R/C
cliff gliding.

In order to keep my brain lubricated and to provide a service for
gliding club members I have decided to make a website giving up to the
minute local weather information.
At present I have a weather station with up to date information fed on
USB to a Windows program which in turn updates my website through ftp.
The problem with this arrangement is that my computer has to be powered
up all the time in order to give up to date info on the website.
My website URL is http://www.budemac.talktalk.net/weather/ (which at
present is NOT updated).

To address the problem I am in the process of buying a mini desktop
preloaded with XUBUNTU that is low powered and can be connected to the
weather station all the time.
I understand that there are Linux weather programs available that I will
be able to modify to my requirements.

Hence the interest in DCGLUG and I intend to come to the Holsworthy
meeting on 18th June if this is OK to find out what you are all about.
Will there be ethernet access to the internet and 240v socket available ?

Regards
Arley

Hi Arley and welcome. I don't know how well you know Holsworthy. Let me know if you need any directions etc. (Email direct if you like.) There are electric sockets available. There is supposed to be wifi too but we have not been able to make it work yet. I will have a word with Jon, the owner of the pub, to see what can be done to make sure that it works for us by thr 18th.

Regards

Neil Winchurst