[LUG] Debian and apt-cache ...

Anyone seen any issues or corruption when using apt-cache?

I'm building up 3 new PCs last night/today and had issues with the Debian install - I was using apt-cache on my server to try to speed things up a bit, but the first one failled randomly and the other 2 each install failed at the same point (configuring the spell chequer!)

Ran an overnight memtest on them and the first one has problems, the other 2 were fine...

So re-trying them this morning (the 2 OK ones) and they're fine - the difference is that I didn't use my server running apt-cache and just fetched the packages direct (using a netinst CD - "unlimited" broadband at weekends)

Incidentally, I got nice shiny 22" wide-screen monitors for them - I don't personally like wide-screen, however these came within the budget and run at 1920x1080. I was a bit skeptical, but they're really nice.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Monitors/22%26quot%3B+Monitors/22%22+Arianet+Cream+LED+Series+Widescreen+Monitor+?productId=44390

or http://url.drogon.net/w

Firefox (iceweasel) launches full-screen too - some websites are really really bad when presented with a 1920 pixel-wide screen...

What still annoys me about widescreen is their lack of height - even though this monitor has more vertical pixels than my desktop one has (1080 vs 1024), it's only 270mm high vs 300mm high for my old 4:3 ...

I guess that's progress for you... (and 4:3 monitors are now very expensive - if you can get them at all!)

Gordon