Re: [LUG] Some good news for devon

Gordon,

Your cynicism is entirely justified.
understand that Railtrack have some spare fibre between
Devon and Paddington, so that might be cheaper that laying
new fibre.

Regards etc,
Ray.

for devon

>On Fri, 27 May 2011, Andrew Pearce wrote:

Looks like part of Devon will have their broadband
connections upgraded
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/27/broadband_rollout_devon_norfolk_wiltshire/
>
>Sounds good, but ...
>
>There's a lot of this about
today - e.g.

>   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13565269>

>However, read the small-print...
>
>Basically Â30 million
has been allocated to be shared between Devon &

>Somerset... there will also be money from local councils
and private
>investors (and I understand it's on a
'matched funding' basis)

>So.. What can we do with Â15
million?

>BT has just spent Â132 million on upgrading 8
exchanges in Cornwall... So
>Â16.5m per exchange. So Â15m
isn't going to go far at that sort of
>level...
>
>But I
know I'm being cynical... However infrastructure costs
money, digging
>up roads costs money, running the fibre
back to London (or renting stuff
>already there) costs
money... And then you need to pay BT openreach anyway
make the actual connection - unless you're doing it
wirelessly or
>digging up the road to run your own
fibre/copper to the premises..

>But remember some time
ago I posted about a new network for Devon? Maybe
>Siemens
will step-up and use their new network to carry the data...
Maybe
>not ... But I suspect there are a few shiny suited
salesdroids knocking
>on the doors of country hall as I
type...

>I'd love to be part of it, but ... (anyone want
to form a company, get