Re: [LUG] setting up RAID

On 23/05/11 19:07, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

We are trying to set up Raid at the lighthouse. we have a server (the
rack one ) that has 2x80 gb cards in and a raid card

It's actually a Fakeraid card (IIRC a Promise IDE RAID card).

is anyone available on friday to help us with this, please I should be
around during the afternoon.

I'm afraid I'm going on holiday to Cornwall, very much doubt I'd be able to get down there on Friday.

2. if there is a 2 disk raid system should the first disk have a
dedicated /boot partition,

Depends if Ubuntu sees the raid card as one disk i.e. the card has been configured to use the drives in a RAID array, maybe mirrored (RAID 1the drives appear as one drive with the capacity of one drive) or striped which the RAID set as just configured as one big drive as the combined capacity of both drives (RAID 0).

If Ubuntu sees both drives as separate drives then you can configure the software RAID.

Ubuntu offers a cloud server which means that people can i guess log in
to the system from anywhere, so if they are at the lighthouse from there
but when they are at home they can equally log in from home and work on
files etc

I wouldn't use the Cloud stuff myself, the cloud stuff refers to the compatibility with the Amazon cloud, you're not going to need this.

If you want to access files from anyware I'd suggest forgetting Ubuntu and choose SME Server for ease of use, it should set the RAID up for you and allow you to setup 'iBays' which are special samba shares which are also available via FTP and a web interface if configured to do so, plus you'll need to setup port forwarding too to open ports (don't open Samba ports to the outside world whatever you do!).

With SME Server you can also configure it as a VPN server and firewall if it has two network cards, one card can be connected to the router and the other to the rest of the network.

I don't really understand all this,

If you can help but have some alternative distribution that will do the
same job or can set up something other than a cloud system but that can
offer the same functions please bring any disks

See above.

it would be nice to have a server up and running so we have a central
location to save stuff too etc

thanks for any help

I'd suggest SME Server for ease of use and setup. It has a web interface and can be configured as a Windows domain server too.

Rob