Re: [LUG] Outlook to Thunderbird Re: XP to Debian ...

On 23/05/11 12:57, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:25 AM, tom<tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 22/05/11 19:56, Simon Waters wrote:
On 22/05/11 19:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:
A few google searches suggested simply copying it over from the XP box
"as is" - which is what I did - I used the file manager to copy the
entire Thunderbird profile directory from the XP side to the
.thunderbird directory - and it worked! No exporting accounts,
addresses, themes, settings, etc.
I meant for Outlook and many other clients the easy route is into
Thunderbird on Windows, and then over to Thunderbird on GNU/Linux.

The Outlook export uses the API, they use to include it in the GNU/Linux
version of Thunderbird even though it wouldn't work without the relevant
Microsoft DLLs for accessing the Outlook mail store.

Does this mean Outlook (and Outlook Express) can be transferred to
Thunderbird more or less seamlessly?
Tom te tom te tom
"seamless" is subjective.

I have moved people from Outlook&  Outlook Express over to Thunderbird
fairly well by using an IMAP server in the middle.  I added the IMAP
server to the Outlook/OE instance, moved all the mail over manually,
then added the IMAP to the Thunderbird instance.

Was a pain but seemed to work better than the various tools I found
that will offer to move Outlook/OE stuff to Thunderbird for you.  One
tool that looked promising simply exported all the Outlook/OE messages
into .eml files and dumped them in the relevant Thunderbird profile.
Although technically it *did* work, it was clumsy and inelegant.

Grant.

I was trying to find out how difficult it was - I would not imagine to be drag over account details easily but otherwise I was wondering how hard it would be to automate transferring an Outlook(Express) user to an open source message/pim setup.

When you say you moved the messages manually was that simply a case of drag and drop for a directory tree or a bit more tricky?
Tom te tom te tom