Re: [LUG] Outlook to Thunderbird Re: XP to Debian ...

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:25 AM, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 22/05/11 19:56, Simon Waters wrote:
>>
>> On 22/05/11 19:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>>
>>> A few google searches suggested simply copying it over from the XP box
>>> "as is" - which is what I did - I used the file manager to copy the
>>> entire Thunderbird profile directory from the XP side to the
>>> .thunderbird directory - and it worked! No exporting accounts,
>>> addresses, themes, settings, etc.
>>
>> I meant for Outlook and many other clients the easy route is into
>> Thunderbird on Windows, and then over to Thunderbird on GNU/Linux.
>>
>> The Outlook export uses the API, they use to include it in the GNU/Linux
>> version of Thunderbird even though it wouldn't work without the relevant
>> Microsoft DLLs for accessing the Outlook mail store.
>>
> Does this mean Outlook (and Outlook Express) can be transferred to
> Thunderbird more or less seamlessly?
> Tom te tom te tom

"seamless" is subjective.

I have moved people from Outlook & Outlook Express over to Thunderbird
fairly well by using an IMAP server in the middle.  I added the IMAP
server to the Outlook/OE instance, moved all the mail over manually,
then added the IMAP to the Thunderbird instance.

Was a pain but seemed to work better than the various tools I found
that will offer to move Outlook/OE stuff to Thunderbird for you.  One
tool that looked promising simply exported all the Outlook/OE messages
into .eml files and dumped them in the relevant Thunderbird profile.
Although technically it *did* work, it was clumsy and inelegant.

Grant.