Re: [LUG] copyright law digital makeover

On 18/05/11 21:38, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 18/05/11 19:34, Roland Tarver wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM, James Kilty<james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
any comments?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13429217
being able to legally "format change" music et al that you have paid
for has got to be good.

A few concerns as there is with everything new or that we dont yet
fully understand. But it sounds more good, than bad?

Best wishes
roly :-)

I am sure at one time we had this, it was called fair usage, as in if
you had an old LP you could transfer to tape for use in the car, or
elsewhere,

so likewise the new way today would be to copy LP to MP3 and as it's for
your own use, its legal.

So perhaps we are getting back what we had before which was taken away
from us with draconian laws that as people said at the time were badly
drafted / thought out.

Paul

When the cassette first came out you had to buy a license to record coypright stuff to them - I did have one many moons ago. I'm not sure the law changed just got bored...
Tom te tom te tom