Re: [LUG] OT: Steganography - hiding data in plain sight; An alternative to encryption?

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Grant Sewell wrote:
> It is a very interesting field.  To my mind, though, it always seems
> that you can only retrieve the information if you also have a copy of
> the original, unadulterated (image) data.  I imagine there are ways of
> embedding extraction details into the same file, but surely that then
> means it is less 'secure'?

It depends on how the extraction details are embedded of course, but
the security then depends on knowing how to find these details. So it
merely adds an extra step, not more security.

The idea mostly makes sense if you want to hide the fact that you are
hiding something, or at least want to decrease the chances of someone
taking the encrypted data.

Martijn.