Re: [LUG] OT: Steganography - hiding data in plain sight; An alternative to encryption?

On Sun, 8 May 2011 17:48:06 +0100
Roland Tarver wrote:

> http://www.unixmen.com/news-today/1683-soon-secure-confidential-data-on-hdd-without-encryption-on-open-source-software-?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+unixmenhowtos+%28Unixmen+Howtos+%26+Tutorials%29
>
> Sorry about the long URL.
>
> An open source project into Steganography - hiding information in
> "plain sight". Might be of interest....
>
> Some years ago I was partially involved with a project that used the
> least significant bit of the bytes used to define a bitmap image. The
> project would have used this least significant bit to "hide" data in
> plain sight.
>
> Best wishes
> roly :-)

It is a very interesting field.  To my mind, though, it always seems
that you can only retrieve the information if you also have a copy of
the original, unadulterated (image) data.  I imagine there are ways of
embedding extraction details into the same file, but surely that then
means it is less 'secure'?

Grant.