Re: [LUG] OT: Re: If you don't Vote, you can't whinge..

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 08:39:44AM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:

> My partner thinks AV might be too complicated, which is about the best
> argument against it I've heard. I assured her that complex voting
> systems will on average reduce the impact of stupid people on the result.

:) if you have AV and just vote for your preferred party then there is no
change over the current system.

I would also hope that people actually vote for parties they want to
run the place: the mind shudders if there is a close race and a lot of
people have "the fringe" as their alternates.

I like Government ruling from the Centre.

Best argument I have heard is

http://www.economist.com/node/18621028?story_id=18621028&CFID=163505988&CFTOKEN=11058149

For supporters of constitutional reform, such as this newspaper, these are
good times. The previous government introduced a freedom of information
act. An overhaul of the House of Lords is under way. But this referendum is
a disappointment. AV would not be a disaster, but it would not be an
improvement either; and although we are reformers by instinct, we do not
believe in change for changeâs sake. The Economist would therefore vote No.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.