Re: [LUG] OSS DTP ... (ie. Publisher looka-a-likes)

On Sun, 1 May 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

On 30/04/11 20:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:

It's already failled at that point then.

Fortunately it is not true and Scribus makes any image transparent in a
few clicks as you would discover if you'd opened it and followed my
if you think it will help).

I'm almost sounding like a like MS here - I don't, but I'm really
struggling to wonder why there isn't something in the *nix world that's
as easy to use as Publisher.

Scribus is it, probably why no one has tried doing it again.

How long did it take your Wife to master Publisher?

She's been using it since it first came out... c1993/1994.

If someone wants to give up a day of their time to teach my wife how to
use Scribus (under XP), then they're more than welcome... However the
purchase cost of Publisher is much less than a day of my time is worth!

I think I already made that point in the last thread.

I think probably the problem here is that it is damn hard for anyone to
learn anything if they have the wrong attitude. None of the tasks so far
mentioned took this Scribus newbie more than a minute or two....

You're very right - I'm sure, and my wife is also very impatient.

However - from her point of view - she's been made redundant, she's being forced to work her notice, and at the same time, she's trying to start her own business. Taking the path of least resistance is a very easy option, and if it means spending £120 out of her redundancy money, then that's what she'll do.

I've been made redundant twice in my working life. It's not very easy and when there's an easy way out, it's easy to take it.

Gordon