Re: [LUG] Bored rant

Keith Abraham wrote:
[rant] apropos the DTP/Scribus thread

OK moving to another platform ain't easy but if they can't be bothered
to try things and attempt to understand the new platform then what do
they think they are doing?

To me what lies behind their attitude is the arrogance that lies behind
"the world owes me a living". i.e. If I want something and it doesn't
appear immediately then the world is at fault. It seems the dictum
acquired by countless generations that "nothing worth having is easily
acquired" is almost completely forgotten.

It's increasing becoming the norm that nobody will work at anything.
 From the easy fame ethos behind shows like "Britain's got Talent", the
philosophy that everything you do must be "fun", the unthinking every
day acceptance of oppression and loss of freedom to unrecognised
brainwashing statements like "Mars is the planet that fascinates us all".

I have snipped some of your rant, but I agree with it. When I talk to people about a possible move to Linux I use the analogy of playing a musical instrument. I say, imagine that you can play the flute and you now would like to play the clarinet. Do you think that all you have to do is acquire a clarinet and that you can then simply transfer all your flute playing skills across and it will work?

That gives them something to think about. Yes, Windows and Linux are ultimately about working with computers but they are work differently and both need time and effort to learn. Either way the move will need some willingness to learn new skills.

Neil