Re: [LUG] Scanning slides

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

tom wrote:
On 29/04/11 08:36, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Adrian Midgley wrote:
You can rephotograph them

The slide holder goes on the front of a lens, and you get good
resolution quickly.

http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/ make them

I had thought of that, but three problems. A slide copier can be as
expensive as a scanner. I am not sure that I can get one to fit my
Canon camera. I wish to scan other items not just slides.

Thanks anyway

Neil

Slides is very high definition compared to your ordinary scanner you
want at least 4096 dpi to do them justice - take a few of your best
along to a shop that will demo a scanned and look very closely at the
images taken, and then look at the slide under a microscope - or blown
up to 8' or larger and compare.
Then see if you can borrow a camera adapter(and camera) - after all
you?re not going to be using it once you've finished this lot. A local
photo group may help...Or buy one and rent it out..
Tom te tom te tom

Thanks for the idea Tom. I have had a look around Google for slide scanning and prices are stupid. I can't justify the cost. I could ask at the local film club perhaps. Otherwise I think that I will just forget about it.

It's all to do with time - Search eBay for a Nikon slide scanner - there are ones that you can load-up with 50 slides at a time and (with VueScan) off you go.

I found it was taking 5-15 minutes to do each slide - by the time I'd scanned it, then imported the 35MB TIFF file into GIMP, to do final colour, scratch/dust removal/sharpening, etc. (and re-save as a TIFF)

You can obviously scan and save a lot quicker if you don't hand-tweak the images.

Negatives are a bigger PITA - I have a negative holder for my scanner, but it's still fiddly, needing air dusters, cotton gloves, etc. to not get prints on them.

Gordon