[LUG] DVI to VGA Adapter?

I'm trying to connect an embdded type PC with a DVI output to a VGA screen... I don't own a screen with DVI input...

However, I have a DVI to VGA adapter that I've used in the past, but in this case it's just not working - not a peep out of the monitor... Is it possible that some DVI outputs are pure digital only with no analogue VGA signals?

(I know the PC's working OK as it currently boots OK)

Any clues welcome...

Gordon