Re: [LUG] computers for project similar to exwick

On 28/04/11 17:51, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

I think we discussed this a while back, I think rob is now in touch with
the manager of Paignton day centre, after I was given some help to write
a letter.  So we may have a new client interested in setting up a mini
computer suite, did you say we had access to a supply of client
computers for this.

the whole thing has gone quiet, and I don't really know what you have
going up in exwick. and even less sure how to go about setting things,
up, I can just try and find places where we can do a similar project.

just wondered what would be involved,  we need to find a way to get them
to raise funds for monitors I think,  no idea how we do that either.

Well the Exwick thing came about over a kebab in a kebab shop in Totnes at the Green Computing meeting that was held by Rick and a few others a couple of years ago. I think it worked out well as Rick had links with Exwick and was able to put me in touch with Trevor, and since we were looking for a community centre and I had contacts at Gemini FM it all kind of clicked into place.

We could do something like this in a couple of different ways, we could maybe get try local companies to see if any can donate old redundant hardware that we could either setup using LTSP or even standalone machines like what you have done at the Lighthouse, or we could try and source machines maybe from Freecycle or something.

As far as monitors go, Exwick bought monitors, a server and bits to build cabinets using the funding from the Gemini FM Charitiable Trust. I believe the grant was in the region of around £3500 although if they don't need cabinets then I'm sure we could cut this down considerably (for instance we could pick up new LCD monitors for probably around £75 each).

I'm not entirely sure how we can go about getting funding now, the Gemini FM Chariable Trust is now defunct. Heart have a charity but it's aimed at things for kids (so maybe the Lighthouse could apply for funding for the stuff they're doing) but I'm not sure about a day care centre.

I'm sure there are other charitable trusts around though that could maybe offer some sort of grants.

Rob