Re: [LUG] agp graphics upgrade

On 14/04/11 18:05, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

I am currently using a geforce 4 graphics card and would like to upgrade
this to something slightly better.

According to my mother board manual my chip set supports

AGP 1.5v 4X 8X AGP cards
AGP v3.0 compliant

Does anyone have any recommendations please,

If I upgrade this, to something supported by later than legacy nvidia
drivers (linux) for example I should get some extra life from the PC :)

Paul

I have a feeling about the best you're going to get is probably around the Geforce 6 or 7 series, after that I believe everything went PCI Express or just basic PCI.

Saying that, the Geforce 6200 Series isn't that bad, it's not brilliant but it's not bad.

To be honest nowadays if you want anything reasonably better it would probably work out just as easy upgrading your motherboard and CPU (I tend to find places like eBay tend to be quite pricey for older hardware, things like AMD Socket 754 motherboards still go for about 25 to 30 quid).

Rob