Re: [LUG] lock down ubuntu

On 11/04/11 18:03, Rob Beard wrote:
On 11/04/11 17:47, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 11/04/11 17:34, Rob Beard wrote:
On 11/04/11 15:25, Stephen Cutts wrote:
Well the question rather than why use an old version, is why use Gnome
when most users will more be comfy with the more windows like LXDE or
KDE desktops? The added benefit of LXDE would be the fact is designed to
be used on low end computers and as such is pretty light on what it
eats up.

You do have a point there. Okay personally I can't stand KDE4 but LXDE
on something like Linux Mint LXDE edition is great and easy to lock
down (menu items are a set of Desktop files in /usr/share or something
along those lines which can be removed to remove menu items).

But I suppose Paul has chosen something he's more familiar with, and I
can perfectly understand that.

Rob

9.04 runs nicely on the lower memory systems, i had problems installing
newer versions didn't work properly. So ok its out of date but it works,
if we get some better spec clients then these can replace the older
ones. well the spec is fine, just low memory seems to be an issue.

Yes, it works, BUT it is no longer support for things like security updates to it's applications and kernel. This COULD be a problem.

Yeah, end of the day what we have now is a working set of computers,
some of the better spec computers run later versions ( and do)

1. they have internet clients
2. they have , flash so the kids and young people are happy playing
online flash based games) I installed open arena on one of the better
spec computers so that seemed to go down well.

Well that's good, but maybe if you let us know what problems you're getting with a newer distro then we might be able to help solve the issues. I still think as well maybe try Debian too (although I haven't the foggiest if a Debian Live CD is available).

Rob

I struggled with debian esp when i end up at a command prompt after installing and don't know how to set things up. last time i had to manually change the apt config file thing so it would point to the repositories and not the cd

ok it may be different now,

the current set up should make it easier for us to go in and just fix one computer at a time, and get it working fully as required, then look in to locking down the others as needed.

there is a debian live cd but as i am not familiar with debian would need help setting it up as its quicker to work with someone who is confident and familiar with that one system

Paul

-- n i end up at a command prompt after installing and don't know how to set things
uplbut
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day