Re: [LUG] lock down ubuntu

On 11/04/11 17:34, Rob Beard wrote:
On 11/04/11 15:25, Stephen Cutts wrote:
Well the question rather than why use an old version, is why use Gnome
when most users will more be comfy with the more windows like LXDE or
KDE desktops? The added benefit of LXDE would be the fact is designed to
be used on low end computers and as such is pretty light on what it eats up.

You do have a point there. Okay personally I can't stand KDE4 but LXDE on something like Linux Mint LXDE edition is great and easy to lock down (menu items are a set of Desktop files in /usr/share or something along those lines which can be removed to remove menu items).

But I suppose Paul has chosen something he's more familiar with, and I can perfectly understand that.

Rob

9.04 runs nicely on the lower memory systems, i had problems installing newer versions didn't work properly. So ok its out of date but it works, if we get some better spec clients then these can replace the older ones. well the spec is fine, just low memory seems to be an issue.

Yeah, end of the day what we have now is a working set of computers, some of the better spec computers run later versions ( and do)

1. they have internet clients
2. they have , flash so the kids and young people are happy playing online flash based games) I installed open arena on one of the better spec computers so that seemed to go down well.

paul

I am back in on Friday,

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day