Re: [LUG] Formatting external drives etc

On 08/04/11 17:45, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have a USB memory stick and may one day need an external hard drive.
When bought how will they be formatted? And if I would like them to be
formatted to eg EXT4 what would be the best utility to use?

Thanks for any help

Neil

They will most likely be formatted to FAT32.

Personally I tend to leave my USB sticks in FAT32 format, that way I can transfer them between my notebook, my XBOX360, PS3 and the wifes's PC.

If I do format anything though (my external USB hard drive is EXT4 format) I use mkfs.ext4 in the command line.

I also tend to change the partition type from 6 (or b or c I believe) which are Windows types to type 83 which is set to Linux.

Not knowing if there is a graphical tool available to format drives (other than GParted which is possibly a bit overkill) there is this...

http://cha-wares.blogspot.com/

Mind you, I haven't tried it, it's what I found on Google. Other applications may exist that do the job better.

Rob