Re: [LUG] Linux Mint 10 KDE

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Roland Tarver
<roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 03/04/11 09:34, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>>

> <snip>
>
>> Overall from experience of switching folks to Linux from Windows, I do think
>> though that we need to organise some sort of support structure (not everyone
>> wants to join a mailing list and be bombarded with mails), and some folks
>> might not want to use forums.  I'm not entirely sure how we could approach
>> this, maybe giving folks our e-mail addresses (and optionally phone numbers)
>> for help, maybe offering remote support using tools such as TeamViewer
>> (which is dead easy to use once installed) or offering a follow up visit?
>>
>> I dunno, this is something we need to discuss and work out what might work
>> best.  As I said in another thread, I'm happy to visit folks and offer some
>> help, BUT I don't want to be travelling too far to do this. If it's a case
>> of popping into see someone for an hour say in Paignton or Torquay then I
>> don't mind so much (as long as they're flexable to when I can pop over) but
>> I'd rather not be travelling to Exeter or Plymouth especially (don't mind
>> going from work to see someone for an hour in Exeter assuming I've not got
>> plans).

sorry - i pressed some "magical" google-key-combination that sent
before i was ready lol. As I was saying....

 1. Get a new linux "prospect".
 2. Introductory presentation.
      - 20 mins max. Q&A at the end.
      - Very simple. On a level that your average computer user can digest.
       - why is it free?
      - who makes it?
      - why is it better?
      - choice, freedom etc etc...
3. Ideally a demo on your own laptop (or livecd)
      - show off a few decent features
             - desktop effects (that i never use lol)
             - virtual desktops (although i think you get these on
windows 7 now?)
             - speed
             - price ;-)
4. Install for newbie
5. Get all basics working.
6. Leave them with a document to introductory-basic, further reading.
           - probably on lug site
7. Tell them to expect some frustrations.
          - so its not a shock and perceived as "normal" for the
transition to linux
          - remind them that its worth the pain, because the benefits
will last a lifetime!!
8. Get them to document problems/frustrations/good things
9. Follow up appointment.
          - in about a week or a max of 3 weeks (ideally)
          - sort/fix frustration/problems.
          - show off some NEW cool stuff
                        - eg, give them 2 graphical environments to play with.
10. Offer on-going support as required
         - get them on the mailing list
         - invite to lug meets
11. Perhaps even create a brand new linux advocate ;-)
12. *They* start at (1) with one of their mates... haha

<returns to essay ... urgh lol>

>> Hopefully as we go along we can also find out what things people are
>> struggling on and maybe write up some simple guides to follow and post them
>> on the web (or make something available in ODT format that the folks can
>> print off, or we can print them for them).  I did this quite a lot when I
>> worked at GCap as I was getting asked the same thing reguarly, so I'd write
>> up some instructions and e-mail them to the users to try and follow, 9 times
>> out of 10 it worked well.

yeah - good stuff. :-)

>> Anyway, sorry for the long reply... anyone else have any comments? :-)
>>
>> Rob

Best wishes
roly :-)