Re: [LUG] Keyboard extras and Linux

Anthony Williams wrote:

Yes. My keyboard has 10 "extra" keys, ranging from volume controls to
mail to a "calculator" button. I presume that the software on Windows
sets them up to do something related to the symbols they show, but on
Linux they're freely configurable through your desktop manager.

I think the volume control keys were mapped by default (I guess they're
common), but others needed configuring.

Typically these extra keys merely identify themselves to the operating
system as scancodes that are not mapped to any event yet. There are
plenty of documents around on the Internet on how to get these extra
scancodes to be recognised and be usable.

Under KDE you can configure them like any other key in System
Settings/Shortcuts and Gestures.

In my version of KDE I don't see those choices. Anyway my new computer will be running Xfce as the desktop. Now that you have told me that I can configure these I will research the topic. Thanks

Neil