Re: [LUG] UK - Closed Source Stronghold

On 26 March 2011 14:15, Gibbs <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just came across this (havent read the register for a while): http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/25/open_source_steve_george/

I would have to agree. Does anyone have any theories on why that seems to be the case for the UK?

Gibbs

I think it is cultural, to some extent. In the LUG, we are unusual & much more willing to try out / experiment with new software / operating systems. But, generally, people in the UK are like sheep - they are followers and like to do what "the crowd" is doing.

Tablet computers have been around for years. I have always thought that they are inferior to laptops for producing material although OK for consuming it. I still do. However, after years of the concept being in the doldrums, suddenly some marketing from Apple & everyone is buying them. I bought one for my husband for his birthday (not the IPad but, a different android based model for 1/2 the price that does all the same things). It's OK but, personally, I still wouldn't have much use for one. So something that nobody wanted suddenly becomes something that everyone wants.

I think it is this "sheep" mentaility that makes it difficult for any new product to move from niche to popular. As we have said many times, linux is a great and obvious choice for home PC users, particularly in a recession. However, it also involves that other nasty "C" word, CHANGE and it means that you will be doing something different to the majority of people that you know!!! Businesses are run by people so, this same attitude prevails in the world of work. Cost is still a secondary consideration.

Viv