Re: [LUG] Learning Python - Snake Wrangling for Kids

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just saw this posted to the Ubuntu mailing list and thought it might be of
> interest.
>
> Basically one of the members would like to learn Python and someone
> suggested this book which is aimed at kids but possibly useful in learning
> the basics:
>
> http://www.briggs.net.nz/log/writing/snake-wrangling-for-kids/
>
> It's a free PDF with specific versions available covering Linux, Windows and
> Mac and teaches kids how to program in Python.  Just reading the first
> couple of pages made me chuckle, I'm going to encourage my kids to have a
> read of it so they can do something more productive on their computer.
>
> Rob

Excellent!  I'm thinking this could be a useful resource for me at
College too - there are plenty of students who (like me) seem to
dislike the curly-bracket languages but find VB too restrictive.  If I
understand things correctly, Python can be used as either/both a
procedural language and an OO language too - and since we're going to
be running modules on both of these next year (hopefully), this would
be an awesome tool to use!

Thank you. :)
Grant.