Re: [LUG] OT (sorry): MS Licensing question

On 23/03/11 23:03, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Rob Beard wrote:

On 23/03/11 22:35, Gordon Henderson wrote:

I know this isn't quite right, but my father in-law is looking for a new
system - currently has XP and wants to stick to XP...

The system he has is something I built for him some years back 5 or 6.
It can't go beyond 1GB of RAM, it's an older AMD Athlon, so it's a bit
clunky. It's got a Win XP OEM install on it.

The plan is to put a new mobo/processor and eventually disk drive inside
it.

So is that do-able inside the terms of the OEM license?

Cheers,

Gordon

You can't 'offically' transfer the original license over to another
machine. The license is tied to the machine, when it dies the license
dies.

What defines the machine though? In this case the magic sticker is on
the case - which I plan to keep, just change the mobo/cpu/memory ...

(Although no-doubt I'd get stuck through lack of drivers or something)

I wish I could persuade him to use Linux, but he's 72 and a bit stuck in
his ways )-:

Gordon

From what I understand it's tied to the motherboard. I gather that you can get away with it if you're say repairing a PC which the motherboard has died on and you're using the same CPU and memory but maybe a different manufacturer of motherboard.

Suffice to say Microsoft have got it pretty much covered and they make an example of companies who don't stick to the rules.

It is really frustrating, especially when you're talking servers running OEM copies of Windows Server.

Rob