Re: [LUG] Linux Mint -- and Debian

On 23/03/11 08:11, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have used Kubuntu for some years now. When I acquired a laptop last year I installed Mint v 9 Xfce on it. I have been very pleased with it.

For those who don't know Mint is based on Ubuntu. As each new version of Ubuntu comes out it is soon followed by a new version of Mint which is based on it. This also has Gnome as the desktop and is soon followed by the KDE version. Mint also has several other desktop managers available including Xfce, LXDE, fluxbox and Evolution.

Since I am interested in the Xfce version I have been waiting for it to appear. Finally an announcement has come out but there is a change. The latest version of Mint Xfce is based on Debian. Also it is a 'rolling release' version.

I have never used Debian so I am wondering if any list members have any thoughts, comments about this. Incidentally it is the testing version of Debian that is being used.

AS I understand it the future versions of the smaller desktop managers in Mint will also be based on Debian. Possibly eventually the Gnome and KDE versions will follow.

Any Debian experts out there? Does anyone else on the list use Mint? I would be interested to hear what other list members think about all this.

Thanks

Neil Winchurst

I have 2 computers, both AMD64, both running Mint Debian. I have found it easy to install and maintain. The rolling release means that there is something new every other day and this may be a problem if this is your only computer.

I have an ongoing problem with both these computers in that they tend to lock up on playing video files and flash. The severity of this can improve or get worse after Debian updates, probably to do with library updates. As a result I'm finding it difficult to isolate whether this is a hardware or software or BIOS problem. Having said that, this is the easiest version of Debian to install and maintain I've had the pleasure to use. One word of warning. If you use the Mint forums, any version, be prepared to toe the line on how you post. I haven't come across "feedback" like this since my days in the RAF.

George