Re: [LUG] Website Tracking ...

On 20/03/11 21:00, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Anyone here running Ghostery?

  http://www.ghostery.com/

It's a plug-in for Firefox to block tracking sites - Sites that get given a bif of information each time you visit some web page... Probably the best known one is Google Analytics - which lets webmasters get information of who's visiting their websites, entry pages, etc. but there seems to be 100's more )-:

I've just visited NatWest bank site - and found that they use 2 trackers inside their secure pages - which seems a bit crap to me - they own the servers, so they can get direct stats on who's doing what, or am I missing something?

Anyway, I decided I didn't want to be tracked this way, so installed Ghostery from the site above... Maybe you want to too..

Gordon

You have to be careful on these things - I have found sites that fail to work when you disable other sites as they use javascript from other sites and check to see if its working. If it isnt they dont. Losy web design. But in any case its best to ban google analytics etc at the router/proxy if you can.
Tom te tom te tom