Re: [LUG] OT Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom II ?

On 17/03/11 00:23, Alex Mclennan wrote:
hi tom,i noticed you put comment in email about needing old machines,what sort of spec machine do you need,email me or call me on 01395576780 or 07999250238.
alex the noob

--- On Wed, 16/3/11, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] Intel Core 2 Quad or AMD Phenom II ?
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, 16 March, 2011, 15:52

On 16/03/11 14:36, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Anyone have any preferences/experiences?
>
> I've a client on a tight budget (as usual )-: Trying to get the best general purpose performance for their money - looking for a quad core processor to run mostly LAMP type stuff (although it's a specific application rather than some off the shelf thing)
>
> (And power and cooling is a concern too as it'll be in an office with minimal AC)
>
> I used AMD processors for a long time, but have been using Intel recently - just wondering if the Phenoms are any better in terms of power (watts) per bang ...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gordon

The question I ask myself is: Has either producer used illegal anticompetitive tactics in its business and as such should be shunned at all costs:
AMD not that I'm aware of
Intel Yes
so even for a large price differential ( and I think AMD tends to work out as a slightly better bang for buck) I'd buy AMD. I'd prefer to by ARM for power reasons but until I can find one of these
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/14/calxeda_arm_server/
I'm on beg borrow and stealing  old machines
Tom te tom te tom

-- The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG

You got the right number.
Sorry a bit busy here - sick child and half a pig to salt so will catch you another time
Tom