[LUG] Email for newbies - part 2

Recently I wrote about my personal opinions of the various email clients on Linux and what I thought were the good and bad points on several of them. This seemed to be quite popular and interesting to some of the members.

Yesterday I was using my computer and I suddenly noticed that I had an icon on the desktop for the Seamonkey suite. So I decided to have a look at it. I had forgotten all about it, though the icon must have been there for months and months.

Anyway the result is that for me Seamonkey is the number one of the ones that I have tried. It is very easy to set up. When I first ran it I was told that there was a new version available. The method of updating is unusual. Download the new zipped file, place it in whatever folder you wish. I chose /usr/local/bin to keep it separate from my original version. Then simply unzip it there.

When I ran it for the first time it offered to add all the email setup from my current copy of TBird. I accepted this and found that everything came across for me, eg accounts and addresses. I just had to add the message filters. As my daughter would say, pimps.

I found that the email section of the suite was very similar to TBird and there are plenty of options to customise it as you wish. And best of all there are no silly questions about kwallet etc.

There is an included browser so that if I click on a URL in am email it is opened very quickly. There is no need to open up Firefox for example. And attachments are easy to open, including PDF files.

The address book is easy to use, quite unlike kmail and evolution mail. The suite includes a browser, email client, composer, address book and IRC chat. However it is extremely simple to use it just for email for example. One of the configuration choices is which part of the suite to open on start up.

So far I am well impressed, partly no doubt because I know TBird. I did find that adding another account was much more straightforward in Seamonkey compared to TBird. Incidentally all my email accounts us IMAP so I still have all my history available.

If anyone else has any comments I would be interested to hear them. Now I will shut up!

Neil