Re: [LUG] SysRq keys to restart cleanly

On 09/03/11 21:16, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

Looking up the SysRq key I found the following which may be useful

Its essentially saying how to use alt-SysRq to shutdown and restart if X
decides to throw a wobbly and not allow input.

How often does this happen?

I've not had it happen to me for some time now - years?

However I'm not particularly 'adventurous' in that I rarely run any games or anything fancy that might cause problems.

Gordon

I actually used to get it quite often. My system(s) often have several users logged in on different terminals running lots of programs and ctrl-alt-Fn would give up. I was annoyed to find ctrl-alt-backspace had been removed but used to ssh in from another and kill gdm or reboot (it dont take long these days which makes it dangerously easy). Its seems to have stopped happening now I have an alternative...
Tom te tom te tom