Re: [LUG] OT Vodaphone Not so Sure

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

Hi

Could some one tell me what this means.

If the Sure Box is connected to my router and I ping it I get no response.

However if I unplug it I get

From 192.168.0.2 icmp_seq=9 Destination Host Unreachable

So it seems to me its seeing the sure box, but the box is not reacting?

What it means is that the box itself isn't responding to ping requests. Probably deliberately.

However, your PC knows it's there because it sends out an ARP broadcast request which the box responds to - so your PC knows the Ethernet MAC address of the box - it then sends the ping to that address, but gets nothing back.

When you unplug the box, the entry in the ARP table vanishes, so your PC knows it's not accessable and you get the "Destination Host Unreachable" error.

Gordon