Re: [LUG] OT Vodaphone Not so Sure

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, tom wrote:

On 02/03/11 12:57, Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 10:00:24AM +0000, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
Hi

I have got one of these Vodaphone boxes and it is not working. Support from
Vodaphone is next to useless.  I am quite sure there are some simple tests
one could run to narrow the problem down (Like pinging stuff).

Was thinking of getting one of those boxes: please advise how it goes.
Otherwise, back to 02: deals aren't as good but reception is better

Wow that looks like a really easy way of running up huge bills!

How so?

The Voda box is a cell base in it's own right - however rather than use Voda's own network for the backhaul, it uses your own broadband... And it's not a lot of usage - unless you sit using 3G data on your phone rather than via Wi-Fi! you regsiter your numbers and up to 4 phones can connect at any time.

They're 50 quid though, so you need to be comitted to using vodafone to buy one, I reckon.

The only on-going bill you'll get is electricity to run it and possibly broadband if you go over your data allowance, but not everyone ties themselves into a 1GB a month package nowadays...

Gordon