Re: [LUG] OT Vodaphone Not so Sure

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, tom wrote:

On 02/03/11 13:41, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, tom wrote:

On 02/03/11 12:57, Henry Bremridge wrote:
On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 10:00:24AM +0000, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
Hi

I have got one of these Vodaphone boxes and it is not working. Support from Vodaphone is next to useless. I am quite sure there are some simple tests
one could run to narrow the problem down (Like pinging stuff).

Was thinking of getting one of those boxes: please advise how it goes.
Otherwise, back to 02: deals aren't as good but reception is better

Wow that looks like a really easy way of running up huge bills!

How so?

The Voda box is a cell base in it's own right - however rather than use Voda's own network for the backhaul, it uses your own broadband... And it's not a lot of usage - unless you sit using 3G data on your phone rather than via Wi-Fi! you regsiter your numbers and up to 4 phones can connect at any time.

They're 50 quid though, so you need to be comitted to using vodafone to buy one, I reckon.

The only on-going bill you'll get is electricity to run it and possibly broadband if you go over your data allowance, but not everyone ties themselves into a 1GB a month package nowadays...

Gordon

I though the idea was you could take it out with you on the road and get connectivity seamlessly - and then when you get home it switches back to your home broadband, or is that another vodaphone box?

Not sure what you're on about, but this box needs to be wired into your router/switch via a bit of cat5...

There is a system that I think Orange trialled which would (almost seamlessly) switch your phone to using Wi-Fi rather than 2/3G for making calls. UMR I think it's called.

My worry is that when you get home it will not connect and you will assume it has and spend a while surfing on 3g until the bill comes through...

Well - AIUI, if you're using 3G data, then you still get charged for it, even if it's come over your home braodband and into your phone via your own base station...

So you get to pay twice... (Once for your 3G to Voda and once to your broadband supplier)

But if you manage it and make your phone switch to using Wi-Fi for data when you get home/office then it ought to be fine.

This is voda's page on it:

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-accessories/vodafone-sure-signal

Only really useful if you want to use Voda but live in a poor coverage area. However I've read a few reports of unreliability on them.

Good idea, but ...

It's also unlikely that other networks will produce them due to lack of channel space in their frequency allocations too.

Gordon