Re: [LUG] Debian e-mail server

On 26/02/11 22:41, Simon Waters wrote:
On 26/02/11 22:17, Rob Beard wrote:

My existing mail files are in Maildir format so I'd like to be able to
transfer them over.  I gather that Dovecot would be a good option for this.

Maybe, I'm somewhat sceptical of copying Maildir from one app to another
as most spew other gubbins into the file system hierarchy.

Dovecot is a fine piece of software, and it doesn't hurt to try and see,
otherwise worst case is you drag and drop once for each folder.

(which is then sends on to my web host's SMTP server) via SMTP over SSL
(is that SMTPS?  It's port 465 anyway).

Postfix using an authenticating Smart host for submission is a bit of a
pain. Does your webhost hate you? Do they not want you to run your own
email server? This seems weird configuration to me.

I have had a few issues in the past, I think Virgin (my ISP) are fussy about SMTP mail not from their provided e-mail addresses, my webhost aren't so fussy but I've had issues in the past sending mail, sometimes I've found when I'm using different connections I have to use different port numbers depending on ISP. If I use my own server then it sends it via the one connection :-)

http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_smtps

So I wondered if anyone knew of any guides for Debian 6?

Nothing specifically Debian 6. I'm not sure the changes to Dovecot and
Postfix have been large with Debian 6.

I've done similar with Postfix, Stunnel, Dovecot but not fetchmail. If
you are happy that all system users are valid mail users, then it is
largely "aptitude install postfix-tls dovecot fetchmail" and there isn't
much left to so except the SMTPS sending hack, and some editing of
/etc/postfix/main.cf to make sure it knows it's domains, networks etc.

Okay I'll have a look.

I've always regarded fetchmail as a bit of a hack, when if your mail
server is sensible you just forward the email to the relevant account
using SMTP and then pick it up with a mail client doing POP3 or IMAP. So
I've tended to shape my world so that fetchmail isn't needed. Who isn't
allowing you to forward the email sensibly?

The provider I'm using is Heart Internet. As far as I know they don't provide an SMTP mail delivery option, just POP3 (and IMAP I think). I assume they get mail via SMTP but I couldn't find an option to get the mail from them to me via SMTP.

Rob