Re: [LUG] Own server

On 25/02/11 18:09, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Recently one of the list members mentioned that he had set up his own
server for his emails. At the time it didn't register. Can anyone tell
me anything about this please?

What are the advantages, if any, and is it very complicated? I have
looked around Google and it looks rather messy to me.

Anyone??

Neil

As someone who set up a mail server (Postfix + Dovecot) for the first time about 2 weeks ago I have to say its pretty easy, and there's some interesting stuff to learn along the way. Saying that Im pretty sure Postfix+Dovecot are known for their easy installation and configuration. Mine was setup primarily for websites as web hosting is the servers main purpose.

As others have said control is both the advantage/disadvantage of running your own mail server. I frequently look at the mail logs and its surprising the amount of clients that have created then removed email addresses that are still frequently used by legitimate people trying to get hold of them.

Another reason was the mail server we had from another company was diabolical. That and after our company "upgrading" their broadband leading to port 25 being blocked the control and flexibility became needed.

Its too early for me to say its worth it but I took the risk and it hasn't been problematic so far.

Gibbs