Re: [LUG] Own server

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Paul Sutton wrote:

is anyone confident enough to give a talk on this as a subject ? just trying to figure out what sort of talks we could do as a group.

I'm sure there are many here suitably qualified..

But FWIW, although I run many servers and run servers at home/office I do not use the home/office ones for my email - it's hosted.

(hosted by me, but that's another matter)

It's not at home so I can access it easier when not at home - I'm not contrained by my ADSL line. It's all hosted remotely where I can access it as I need to.

Most small business I work with have hosted email (and not just because I can charge them for it!!!), but because the same reasons - easy to access when "on the road" or working from home and so on. Make everything use imap and iBrambleberrys, desktop, webmail all "just works" together.

I think there is still a case for an on-site server though - > 10 (say) number of employees and them sending stupidly huge documents to one another for example...

Gordon