Re: [LUG] Meeting Shoreline, FIFTH Mar

On 21/02/11 09:53, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Philip Hudson wrote:

On 21 Feb, 2011, at 8:06 am, Gordon Henderson wrote:

fstab is fairly straightforward, but I don't do uuid's ...

Why's that, Gordon? I know nothing about it, but assumed (so often fatal) that UUIDs were "better" in some way.

I'm old fahioned.

I build servers for a purpose - they don't change in their lifetime, so I see no reason to use features that are designed to help when swapping drives, etc. Disk labels and uuids might be nice, but I've no use for them, so I won't burden my brain by known about them... (although I do know about them. Bother!) When I build a box, I know that /dev/md1 will be root, and so on so why add yet another layer of abstraction on top of what I already know.

Anyway, it's all in the man page, just type

  man fstab

or look at the one in-use:

  cat /etc/fstab

The machine I'm typing this on:

#
proc        /proc        proc    defaults                0 0
sysfs        /sysfs        sysfs    defaults                0 0

/dev/md1    /        ext3    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro    0 1
/dev/md2    none        swap    sw                    0 0
/dev/md3    /usr        ext3    defaults,noatime            0 2
/dev/md5    /var        ext3    defaults,noatime            0 2
/dev/md6    /archive    ext3    defaults,noatime,noexec,ro        0 2

/dev/shm /tmp tmpfs rw,noexec,noatime,mode=1777,size=64m 0 0 /dev/shm /var/tmp tmpfs rw,noexec,noatime,mode=1777,size=64m 0 0

#/dev/shm /var/spool/MIMEDefang tmpfs rw,nodiratime,noatime,size=128m,mode=0700,uid=102,gid=0

Now what's hard to understand about that ;-)

Gordon

I agree with gordon the uuid to me are meaningless where as /dev/cdrom is pretty descriptive so

If i see /dev/cdrom  /media/cdrom I know what that actually means,

even fdisk -l will come up with the device names as per above (or did) trying to troubleshoot just seems to get harder for what should be a simple system, that has worked for 40 years, as the old saying goes if it ain't broke, don't fix it,

sure there has to be ways to make improvements, so things auto mount properly and also mount so the right users can use that device, this needs to be simple and transparent, so it works, but also so that this needs changing it can be.

I have also found that going to the gui config tools and giving a user permission to mount devices or use sound, if something is ticked or not it seems to work, I find this confusing, allow user to access network is not ticked and yet I can use the network to get on the internet.

if I don't tick something so that user1 can use a network I expect user1 to be denied that right, (and in some cases this could be useful

ok for example in my advanced user and group settings (ubuntu 10.04) i have connect to wireless network unticked for my user name, and yet as i type this i am doing so via a wireless network, confusing or what !!

I can't explain very well perhaps i can show you at the next meet and someone can explain why this is inconsistent

paul.

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day