Re: [LUG] Meeting Shoreline, FIFTH Mar

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Philip Hudson wrote:

On 21 Feb, 2011, at 8:06 am, Gordon Henderson wrote:

fstab is fairly straightforward, but I don't do uuid's ...

Why's that, Gordon? I know nothing about it, but assumed (so often fatal) that UUIDs were "better" in some way.

I'm old fahioned.

I build servers for a purpose - they don't change in their lifetime, so I see no reason to use features that are designed to help when swapping drives, etc. Disk labels and uuids might be nice, but I've no use for them, so I won't burden my brain by known about them... (although I do know about them. Bother!) When I build a box, I know that /dev/md1 will be root, and so on so why add yet another layer of abstraction on top of what I already know.

Anyway, it's all in the man page, just type

  man fstab

or look at the one in-use:

  cat /etc/fstab

The machine I'm typing this on:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                                0 0
sysfs           /sysfs          sysfs   defaults                                0 0

/dev/md1        /               ext3    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro      0 1
/dev/md2        none            swap    sw                                      0 0
/dev/md3        /usr            ext3    defaults,noatime                        0 2
/dev/md5        /var            ext3    defaults,noatime                        0 2
/dev/md6        /archive        ext3    defaults,noatime,noexec,ro              0 2

/dev/shm        /tmp            tmpfs   rw,noexec,noatime,mode=1777,size=64m    0 0
/dev/shm        /var/tmp        tmpfs   rw,noexec,noatime,mode=1777,size=64m    0 0

#/dev/shm       /var/spool/MIMEDefang   tmpfs
rw,nodiratime,noatime,size=128m,mode=0700,uid=102,gid=0

Now what's hard to understand about that ;-)

Gordon