[LUG] Ubuntu Hot Spot

Hi

At home I can use my Android phone to control my model railroad via Ubuntu and JMRI.  However I wish to take it to the club, which will be difficult as I would need to take both my router and the netgear wireless network access point "thingy".

I feel a should be able to use just the "thingy" with my PC or just my lappy by itself (which has (a working) wifi built in) but I can not work out how.

I believe it is called creating a "hot spot".  Apples do it almost automagically.

Thanks in advance

Peter L-J