Re: [LUG] 256 mb rambus computer

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:38:45 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> hi
>
> ideas wanted please on how to do this
>
> i was thinking as this is going to be too low spec to run anything
> graphical

What?!  256Mb of RAM being too little to run a GUI?!  Nonsense!

> If we install a hard disk and a basic debian along with a cd / dvd
> recorder could we use it to create copies of ubuntu or what ever from
> iso
>
> what we would need is a script to
>
> ask user to inset blank cd-r
> mount this cd
> give user a list of isos to choose from
> user selects and a cd is made to suit, as in iso burned to cd
> cd unmounts
> cd ejects
> script exits
>
> it was possible to create nice menus in ms dos,  now given shells are
> far more powerful than dos was i am sure its possible.
>
> ok its more complex than that but i am sure someone here can come up
> with something that would work
>
> however if we can make use of as many computers as possible than that
> is a good thing eh
>
> just an idea,
>
> paul

That script shouldn't be that hard to accomplish in any scripting
language you care to think of.  You could use curses if you want a CLI
based.  I wrote a few scripts a few years back that tried to detect if
you had gdialog (now known as zenity), kdialog or just plain ol'
dialog, and present the right interface.  It wasn't that hard to do.

Grant.