Re: [LUG] 256 mb rambus computer

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Paul Sutton wrote:

hi

ideas wanted please on how to do this

i was thinking as this is going to be too low spec to run anything graphical

The first Unix box I ran X windows on had 4MB.

My first Linux box had 32MB.

What's gone wrong )-:

It will run a modern Linux though - if yuo're *very* careful about what you install - You'll need an ultra lightweight window manager (note: window manager, not desktop manager) and be aware that running any sort of eye candy will slow it down.

You migh get away with firefox or chrom, but nothing else, and no big websites either.

If we install a hard disk and a basic debian along with a cd / dvd recorder could we use it to create copies of ubuntu or what ever from iso

what we would need is a script to

ask user to inset blank cd-r
mount this cd
give user a list of isos to choose from
user selects and a cd is made to suit, as in iso burned to cd
cd unmounts
cd ejects
script exits

it was possible to create nice menus in ms dos, now given shells are far more powerful than dos was i am sure its possible.

You can use the curses based "windoing" system - 'dialog' it's called, I think.

e.g. http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2460

Gordon